Varesina del Golf S.p.A.
Carlo ValliVice president
Giovanni BarcoBoard member
Maurizio DansiBoard member
Massimo TovaglieriBoard member
Ernesto CappellettiBoard member
Giuseppe SantobuonoBoard member
Varesina del Golf SpA was set up as a limited liability company under the name Societa’ Immobiliare Golf in 1927. The share capital was 50,000 Lire (50 shares of 1000 Lire), subscribed by Milianese busninessmen (who included Piero and Alberto Pirelli), entrepreneur families from the Varese area (amongst whom the Mazzuchelli’s, the Trolli’s and the Canttaneo’s ), the most important local bank of the time (Credito Varesino) and Ferrovie Nord Milano.
Their aim was to set up a golf club in Luvinate. To provide for a suitable clubhouse and course, they decided to purchase the site known as the “St. Antonio Monastery”, together with its lands and buildings on the slopes leading towards the Varese lake.
So in 1931 the monastery and surrounding lands were bought from the Pio Institute Sons of Providence. The British course architects Gannon and Blanford were given a contract to design and construct the course. Nine holes were completed in the period 1931-33, the present 1,2,10,11,12,13 (then a par 4), 16 (then a par 5), 17 and 18. The chapel become the clubhouse, the monastery was used for the changing rooms and the club secretary’s office was in the old “Abbess’s tower”. The club buildings and the 9-hole course were inaugurated in 1934.
After the second world war in 1955, thanks largely to the initiative of the then Club Secretary Ettore Muzi, the Società Immobiliare Golf purchased land for a further 9 holes. The Swiss course architect Peter Harradine was entrusted with the design. The 2nd 9 holes were completed in 1957, with an overall layout of holes than remains to today.
In subsequent years the main building was extended with a restaurant wing designed by Architect Ravasi, and the upper floors were converted to meeting and social areas by architects Crespi e Spampinato of Gallarate.
After the war the Società Immobiliare Golf became Varesina del Gold Spa. The company statutes can be consulted on the web.
As of the end of 2012 the share capital was 376,070 (188,035 shares with a par value of €2 each).